The Fulton FA-2 Airphibian was designed in 1946 by Robert Edison Fulton. After detatching from the wing assembly, the propeller could be removed and the passenger compartment could be driven on the road. A limited number were built by Fulton and his collegues in Danbury, CT between 1946 and 1950. This particular specimen, designated N74104, was licensed for flight by the CAA (forerunner of the FAA) in 1950. It was also licensed for road use by the state of Connecticut.